Wednesday, February 4, 2015

Can We Stop Saying Caregiver?

On April 22nd, I will be giving the keynote speech at the ARISE Celebrating Inclusion & Achieving Independence Dinner at the Oncenter in Syracuse, NY. Here is a description of the organization from Nancy Kern Eaton, the Director of Development & PR:

ARISE is the designated Independent Living Center for five counties in Central New York: Onondaga, Oswego, Madison, Cayuga, and Seneca.  We work with people of any age with any type of disability.  A majority of our board members are people who experience life with a disability and our mission is to create a fair and just community in which every person, regardless of disability, can fully participate.  We have more than 50 programs and services and offer inclusive recreation at ARISE at the Farm, a 77-acre recreation facility in Chittenango, and ARISE & Ski at Toggenburg Winter Sports Center. 

I am absolutely honored to have been asked to speak but was curious about one small detail, "Why are they asking me? I do not have a disability." Those of you who are familiar with this blog know that my stupidity knows no bounds. After a few moments of reflection, things sunk in: It is conceivable that I may be disabled in the future.

No one knows what the future holds with Parkinson's disease as everyone gets their own version of it (an individual sport in a team game) but becoming disabled is a possibility that one cannot ignore. Denial is a powerful tool and I simply refuse to see this as a potential outcome but, if I'm honest with myself, it is. Now I can negotiate the idea of living with a disability but I absolutely hate the idea of having a "caregiver." I even hate the term itself---the conceit being that you are far too unwell to manage your own care. 

When I imagine my future, I typically fantasize about living on the moon and my "caregivers" being a helper monkey named Leroy and three hot blonde nurses from Sweden. While this is likely, what is even more probable is that as the disease progresses, I will need some sort of assistance. What I hope to never need is a "caregiver."

Language is a powerful tool and the way we frame illness matters. People who tend to talk in terms of losing to a disease typically do so in much quicker fashion than those individuals who are willing to fight. By using the label caregiver, we make it seem like a forgone conclusion that someone with PD will eventually be unable to take care of him or herself. I tend to view Parkinson's as a disease of gradual diminishment but the atrophy can be slowed by attitude and action. I need a term that fits my paradigm and it certainly isn't "caregiver."

So smashcut to 2040, I'm 60 years old and have been living with PD for 30 years. What do we call the person that takes care of me?  I would prefer the term daughter, friend, 5th wife, etc. because my hope is that "caregiver" is not necessary. That the care they give me is the same care that I give in return. 

4 comments:

  1. I agree that the term caregiver is often very overused. These are health professionals who are experienced and trained to deal with a wide range of situations. I've hired these experts myself in the past and have had great luck with hiring someone in to take care of a sick loved one who I was unable to be there for myself.

    Rochel Badger @ Homewatch CareGivers of North Atlanta

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was diagnosed with stage 3 breast cancer in August of 2010. A precious friend told me about Dr Itua Herbal Center in West Africa,She gave me his contact number and email address,I contacted him quickly so he give me guaranty that his herbal medicine will cure my cancer and i will be heal forever I said Okay.I ask him about the process for the cure,he ask me to pay for the fees which i did and within 7 working days he sent me the herbal medicine then he instructed me on how to drink it for two weeks to cure.I told Gomez my friend about the herbal medicine so he gave me go ahead to drink it.So after drinking it for two weeks i was cured I'm so grateful and i promise i will recommend anyone with cancer to him and that what i'm doing.
    Dr Itua told me he can cure the following disease.Cancer,Hiv/Aids,Herpes,Diabetes,Parkison,Copd,Hepatitis.. Here Is His Contact Info......[Email...drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com/Whatsapp...+2348149277967]

    ReplyDelete
  3. My life is beautiful thanks to you, Mein Helfer. Lord Jesus in my life as a candle light in the darkness. You showed me the meaning of faith with your words. I know that even when I cried all day thinking about how to recover, you were not sleeping, you were dear to me. I contacted the herbal center Dr Itua, who lived in West Africa. A friend of mine here in Hamburg is also from Africa. She told me about African herbs but I was nervous. I am very afraid when it comes to Africa because I heard many terrible things about them because of my Christianity. god for direction, take a bold step and get in touch with him in the email and then move to WhatsApp, he asked me if I can come for treatment or I want a delivery, I told him I wanted to know him I buy ticket in 2 ways to Africa To meet Dr. Itua, I went there and I was speechless from the people I saw there. Patent, sick people. Itua is a god sent to the world, I told my pastor about what I am doing, Pastor Bill Scheer. We have a real battle beautifully with Spirit and Flesh. Adoration that same night. He prayed for me and asked me to lead. I spent 2 weeks and 2 days in Africa at Dr Itua Herbal Home. After the treatment, he asked me to meet his nurse for the HIV test when I did it. It was negative, I asked my friend to take me to another nearby hospital when I arrived, it was negative. I was overwhite with the result, but happy inside of me. We went with Dr. Itua, I thank him but I explain that I do not have enough to show him my appreciation, that he understands my situation, but I promise that he will testify about his good work. Thank God for my dear friend, Emma, I know I could be reading this now, I want to thank you. And many thanks to Dr. Itua Herbal Center. He gave me his calendar that I put on my wall in my house. Dr. Itua can also cure the following diseases ... Cancer, HIV, Herpes, Hepatitis B, Inflammatory Liver, Diabetis, Fribroid,Parkinson's disease,Inflammatory bowel disease ,Fibromyalgia, recover your ex. You can contact him by email or whatsapp, @ .. drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com, phone number .. + 2348149277967 .. He is a good doctor, talk to him kindly. I'm sure he will also listen to you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was diagnosed as HEPATITIS B carrier in 2013 with fibrosis of the
    liver already present. I started on antiviral medications which
    reduced the viral load initially. After a couple of years the virus
    became resistant. I started on HEPATITIS B Herbal treatment from
    ULTIMATE LIFE CLINIC (www.ultimatelifeclinic.com) in March, 2020. Their
    treatment totally reversed the virus. I did another blood test after
    the 6 months long treatment and tested negative to the virus. Amazing
    treatment! This treatment is a breakthrough for all HBV carriers.

    ReplyDelete