Saturday, January 17, 2015

Notes from 2014: The Year of the Toddler

As soon as the year rolls over, I typically take the first few days of the new one to sit and reflect upon the last 365 days. What worked, what didn't, and how can I keep moving forward? As I have written before, I have somewhat of a photographic memory which is both a gift and a curse. I will remember even the smallest amount of kindness and generosity that a person may show. Conversely, I am the king of petty sleights and can never just let something go. An example:

When I was at SUNY, I was given the responsibility of improving our retention and graduation rates. One of the many ways to do that is to build cohort affiliation---get students to start thinking in terms of outcomes. So instead of saying, "I'm a sophomore"---which is open ended---they may instead say, "I am class of 2018." To push this notion further, I held "class days" where all sophomores would get a free t-shirt that said "Class of 2013." In the Land of State Funding, nothing lasts forever and after the 2008 dip, I was forced to increase efficiencies and that meant replacing the beloved shirts with a pretty crappy water bottle.

So I give out the water bottles during one class day and it triggers the following email exchange:

Email #1 from student: (dripping with sarcasm) Thank you so much Professor Roberts for the beautiful water bottle. I plan to keep it in a safe and break it out during special occasions.

Email #2 from Roberts: Thanks for taking time out of what must be a grueling and busy work week for you to email me that (constructive?) criticism.  No one said you had to take a bottle. Sorry to distract you from running a Fortune 500 company.

Email #3 from student: I can't believe you would respond--what type of professional are you???

(So of course I respond and we keep going at it until the final email below sent by the student)

Email #17 from student: Professor Roberts, please stop emailing me. I have to study. Please stop emailing me.

Roberts Wins!!!!!!!!!!!
_____________________________________________

Perhaps this stubborn streak is what helps me manage Parkinson's---I am simply not going to lose. Unfortunately, this trait has carried on to my daughter. She remembers everything and will argue her point to exhaustion (and she is 3).  The teenage years will be a blast.

Looking back on 2014, here are some brief thoughts and observations:
    AP sporting a Kevin Ollie jersey---both had a good 2014.
  • We are really cooking with gas concerning PD research. The Fox Trial Finder, financial investments, patient participation, etc. are great predictor variables for a breakthrough. 
  • The suicide of Robin Williams stung on many levels. I won't get into it again but one last thought---he could have been a powerful advocate for PD research.
  • Why do I volunteer my time with the MJFF? Is it the brilliant and dedicated staff (all educated in Virginia)? NO. Is it the private-public partnerships that are funding innovative and promising therapies? NO. Is it the emphasis on translatable research? NO. To be honest, the reason I donate is that I have lost a ton of money to MJFF CEO, Debbie Brooks, while playing in underground high stakes poker games. If I don't help speed a cure, she will personally break my hands.
  • Raising a toddler while managing PD is a challenge but, ultimately, one that probably helps slow the disease. She could care less about state of my symptoms or fatigue; she wants to move and I plan on being right next to her for a long time.
  • The Partners in Parkinson's (PIP) events were very impressive on a number of levels. Logistically, it is amazing how many of these events the good people at MJFF mounted flawlessly.  The participants were an amazing bunch---no one more inspiring than Dave Iverson. What really struck me was interacting with the PD community at-large. There is such a wealth of talented, determined people out there that I simply cannot see Parkinson's winning.
  • Finally, let's talk about my blogging. I am awful at this---I will go months without typing a sentence yet the site is becoming quite popular. So how do I remedy this: video! You can expect more video content which will allow me more time to think of what to discuss (or shop for hair gel online). 




2 comments:

  1. My life is beautiful thanks to you, Mein Helfer. Lord Jesus in my life as a candle light in the darkness. You showed me the meaning of faith with your words. I know that even when I cried all day thinking about how to recover, you were not sleeping, you were dear to me. I contacted the herbal center Dr Itua, who lived in West Africa. A friend of mine here in Hamburg is also from Africa. She told me about African herbs but I was nervous. I am very afraid when it comes to Africa because I heard many terrible things about them because of my Christianity. god for direction, take a bold step and get in touch with him in the email and then move to WhatsApp, he asked me if I can come for treatment or I want a delivery, I told him I wanted to know him I buy ticket in 2 ways to Africa To meet Dr. Itua, I went there and I was speechless from the people I saw there. Patent, sick people. Itua is a god sent to the world, I told my pastor about what I am doing, Pastor Bill Scheer. We have a real battle beautifully with Spirit and Flesh. Adoration that same night. He prayed for me and asked me to lead. I spent 2 weeks and 2 days in Africa at Dr Itua Herbal Home. After the treatment, he asked me to meet his nurse for the HIV test when I did it. It was negative, I asked my friend to take me to another nearby hospital when I arrived, it was negative. I was overwhite with the result, but happy inside of me. We went with Dr. Itua, I thank him but I explain that I do not have enough to show him my appreciation, that he understands my situation, but I promise that he will testify about his good work. Thank God for my dear friend, Emma, I know I could be reading this now, I want to thank you. And many thanks to Dr. Itua Herbal Center. He gave me his calendar that I put on my wall in my house. Dr. Itua can also cure the following diseases ... Cancer, HIV, Herpes, Hepatitis B, Inflammatory Liver, Diabetis, Fribroid,Parkinson's disease,Inflammatory bowel disease ,Fibromyalgia, recover your ex. You can contact him by email or whatsapp, @ .. drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com, phone number .. + 2348149277967 .. He is a good doctor, talk to him kindly. I'm sure he will also listen to you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was diagnosed as HEPATITIS B carrier in 2013 with fibrosis of the
    liver already present. I started on antiviral medications which
    reduced the viral load initially. After a couple of years the virus
    became resistant. I started on HEPATITIS B Herbal treatment from
    ULTIMATE LIFE CLINIC (www.ultimatelifeclinic.com) in March, 2020. Their
    treatment totally reversed the virus. I did another blood test after
    the 6 months long treatment and tested negative to the virus. Amazing
    treatment! This treatment is a breakthrough for all HBV carriers.

    ReplyDelete