Tuesday, August 18, 2015

Getting Injured with Parkinson's

I separated my shoulder---badly. What is a separated shoulder? Good question. Here is the Mayo Clinic's definition:

A separated shoulder is an injury to the ligaments that hold your collarbone to your shoulder blade. In a mild separated shoulder, the ligaments may just be stretched. In severe injuries, ligaments may be completely ruptured

The obvious question comes to mind: Dean Roberts, how did you manage to do this? Well, I will give you three scenarios and you guess the correct one.

  1. I trusted Billy Joel to be my designated driver.
  2. I participated in a Unity March with Donald Trump and something went horribly wrong.
  3. I slipped playing freeze tag with my daughter and her munchkin friends.

Did you guess #3? Great job! It almost makes up for your many personal and professional failures in life! (I'm kidding)
Moriah Carey and I have the same sling!

I tend to view Parkinson's disease as an overlay on an otherwise very healthy guy. It impacts me on occasion but, for the most part, I can do the things I enjoy fairly easily. It is when you throw another variable in this mix---usually a head cold---that I really "feel" having PD. Well, nothing to date had prepared me for the pain I was to feel having a shoulder injury on top of Parkinson's disease. The closest experience I have had to this much deep pain is when I read an entire blog post by the Perky Parky from the perspective of her dog. (I'm not kidding)

The best thing to do for my type of injury is to sling the arm and rest the shoulder which makes good sense. The problem is that I suffered a right arm injury and my main symptom---an arm tremor---is fairly localized in my right arm. Good God, talk about pain at night when the should joint grew stiff and then the tremor kicked in. What it also did was make it incredibly hard to sleep and we know that lack of sleep often leads to increased symptoms which messes up my shoulder further...it is a pain train.

Fast forward a few weeks to a scene at AP's feel-goodery Montessori School:

Teacher MoonBeam: Bryan, you seem to be moving gingerly.

(Before I can respond, AP saunters by)

AP: Dad hurt his f@!king shoulder playing tag. That f@!king shoulder may never heal.

(Ithaca parents engage in silent judging. End scene)

Now my daughter is a clear juvenile delinquent but, I will confess, this one is on me. My colorful use of my favorite word made AP think that "bleeping shoulder" was a medical diagnosis similar to "tennis elbow" or "plantar fasciitis." This cracked me up and, despite the constant pain, helped me regain my perspective on things.*

Living with Parkinson's is going to be different, and as in this case, more painful (at times) than a traditional existence but I need to keep things in focus. The best thing I can do is use the experience to learn and grow from it. The pain may be severe but my daughter is still hilarious, Ithaca is beautiful right now, and the Mets are in 1st place---what I'm getting at is life is good and that needs to be the paradigm in which I live.

*BR's Note: The semantics are no doubt lost on the Montessori peaceniks who would love nothing more than to see me flogged by Bernie Sanders while Dave Iverson narrates the event for NPR. Sadly, I can pay their full tuition so my David Mamet-like dialogue will continue to be tolerated.


8 comments:

  1. Atlanta Center for Medical Research is currently seeking qualified individuals to participate in a clinical research trial for Parkinson's Disease

    For more details please visit https://studyscavengerapp.com/atlanta-center-medical-research-paid-clinical-trial-parkinsons-disease-atlanta-ga/

    #Parkinsons #Atlanta #ATL #GA

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was diagnosed with stage 3 breast cancer in August of 2010. A precious friend told me about Dr Itua Herbal Center in West Africa,She gave me his contact number and email address,I contacted him quickly so he give me guaranty that his herbal medicine will cure my cancer and i will be heal forever I said Okay.I ask him about the process for the cure,he ask me to pay for the fees which i did and within 7 working days he sent me the herbal medicine then he instructed me on how to drink it for two weeks to cure.I told Gomez my friend about the herbal medicine so he gave me go ahead to drink it.So after drinking it for two weeks i was cured I'm so grateful and i promise i will recommend anyone with cancer to him and that what i'm doing.
    Dr Itua told me he can cure the following disease.Cancer,Hiv/Aids,Herpes,Diabetes,Parkison,Copd,Hepatitis.. Here Is His Contact Info......[Email...drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com/Whatsapp...+2348149277967]

    ReplyDelete
  3. My life is beautiful thanks to you, Mein Helfer. Lord Jesus in my life as a candle light in the darkness. You showed me the meaning of faith with your words. I know that even when I cried all day thinking about how to recover, you were not sleeping, you were dear to me. I contacted the herbal center Dr Itua, who lived in West Africa. A friend of mine here in Hamburg is also from Africa. She told me about African herbs but I was nervous. I am very afraid when it comes to Africa because I heard many terrible things about them because of my Christianity. god for direction, take a bold step and get in touch with him in the email and then move to WhatsApp, he asked me if I can come for treatment or I want a delivery, I told him I wanted to know him I buy ticket in 2 ways to Africa To meet Dr. Itua, I went there and I was speechless from the people I saw there. Patent, sick people. Itua is a god sent to the world, I told my pastor about what I am doing, Pastor Bill Scheer. We have a real battle beautifully with Spirit and Flesh. Adoration that same night. He prayed for me and asked me to lead. I spent 2 weeks and 2 days in Africa at Dr Itua Herbal Home. After the treatment, he asked me to meet his nurse for the HIV test when I did it. It was negative, I asked my friend to take me to another nearby hospital when I arrived, it was negative. I was overwhite with the result, but happy inside of me. We went with Dr. Itua, I thank him but I explain that I do not have enough to show him my appreciation, that he understands my situation, but I promise that he will testify about his good work. Thank God for my dear friend, Emma, I know I could be reading this now, I want to thank you. And many thanks to Dr. Itua Herbal Center. He gave me his calendar that I put on my wall in my house. Dr. Itua can also cure the following diseases ... Cancer, HIV, Herpes, Hepatitis B, Inflammatory Liver, Diabetis, Fribroid,Parkinson's disease,Inflammatory bowel disease ,Fibromyalgia, recover your ex. You can contact him by email or whatsapp, @ .. drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com, phone number .. + 2348149277967 .. He is a good doctor, talk to him kindly. I'm sure he will also listen to you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dr Itua cure my HIV, I have been a ARV Consumption for 10 years. i have been in pains until i came across Dr Itua on blogs site.I emailed him about my details of my HIV and my location i explained every thing to him and he told me that there is nothing to be scared of that he will cured me, he gave me guarantee,He ask me to pay for items fees so when i'm cured I will show gratitude I did and giving testimony of his healing herbs is what I'm going to do for the rest of you out there having HIV and other disease can see the good work of Dr Itua.I received his herbal medicine through EMS Courier service who delivered to my post office within 5 working days.Dr Itua is an honest man and I appreciate him for his good work.My GrandMa called him to appreciate him and rest of my friends did too,Is a joy to me that I'm free of taking Pills and having that fat belle is a nightmare.you will understand what i'm talking about if you have same problem I was having then not now though.I'm free and healthy Big Thanks To Dr Itua Herbal Center.I have his calendar too that he recently sent me,He Cure all kind disease Like,Cancer,Herpes,Fibromyalgia,Hiv,Hepatitis B,Fibroid,Diabetes,Dercum,Copd ,and also Bring back Ex Lover Back..Here his Contact .drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com Or Whats_app Number +2348149277967

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was diagnosed of herpes in 2016 and I tried all possible means to get cure but all to no avail until i saw a post in a health forum about a herbal doctor from Africa who prepare herbal medicine to cure all kind of diseases including herpes virus, at first i doubted if it was real but decided to give it a try, when i contact this herbal doctor via his email ( allispellhelp1@gmail.com ) i bought the herpes herbal medicine and received it through UPS COURIER SERVICE within 4 days and used it as prescribed, i was cured permanently of herpes virus within 3 weeks of usage. Thanks to DR Alli herbal medicine,you can as well contact him via his whatsapp number +2348100772528 He got a lot of information to help cure any type disease...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello Everybody,
    My name is Mrs Sharon Sim. I live in Singapore and i am a happy woman today? and i told my self that any lender that rescue my family from our poor situation, i will refer any person that is looking for loan to him, he gave me happiness to me and my family, i was in need of a loan of $250,000.00 to start my life all over as i am a single mother with 3 kids I met this honest and GOD fearing man loan lender that help me with a loan of $250,000.00 SG. Dollar, he is a GOD fearing man, if you are in need of loan and you will pay back the loan please contact him tell him that is Mrs Sharon, that refer you to him. contact Dr Purva Pius,via email:(urgentloan22@gmail.com) Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello all online viewer ,,,, HERPES AND HIV to heal
    Does anyone still doubt natural herbal medicine? I have seen the great importance of natural herbs and the wonderful work they have done in people's lives. I wonder why people are still spending their money on surgery, injections and medications that can not cure you completely. Natural herbs can cure all kinds of diseases, including herpes, diabetics, asthma, HIV, hepatitis, ALS, etc. I saw it with my own eyes. I was cured of HIV and my aunt and her husband were cured of the herpes virus and tested negative after using herbal medicine. I ' have also been healed from HIV and tested negative to HIV after using herbal medicine by Dr. HAZIM who uses natural herbs to heal different types of diseases. Even Dr. Sebi proves to the world that natural herbs can cure all diseases and has cured countless people using natural herbs. I know is hard to believe but am a living testimony. There is no harm in trying herbal medicine. Contact or write Dr.Hazim on: usmandrhazim@gmail.com (phone / whatsap no): +2349058026857,

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello everyone, i'm Linda Harry from United State i was diagnosed with Parkinson Disease  for over 6 years which made me loose my job and my relationship with my Fiance after he discovered that i was having Parkinson, he departed from me, and i tried all my best to make him stays, but he neglected me until a friend of mine  from UK told me Great healer, who will restore my life back with his powerful healing herbal medicine. then he  sent me his email address to contact him- drimolaherbalmademedicine@gmail.com. and i quickly contacted him, and he said my condition can be solved, that he will treat the disease immediately only if i can accept trust on him and accept his terms and condition, i Agreed because i was so much in need of help by all means, so i did all he instructed me to do. And surprisingly after two weeks, He sent me a text, that i should hurry up to the hospital for a checkup, which i truly did, i confirm from my doctor that i am now ( PARKINSON NEGATIVE) my eyes filled with tears and joy, crying heavily because truly the disease deprived me of many things from my life, This is a Miracle, dr imoloa also uses his powerful herbal medicine to cure the following diseases:  lupus disease,  mouth ulcer,  mouth cancer, body pain, fever, hepatitis A.B.C.,   syphilis,  diarrhea,  HIV/AIDS,  Huntington's Disease,   back acne,  Chronic renal failure,   addison disease,  Chronic Pain,   Crohn's Disease,   Cystic Fibrosis,  Fibromyalgia,   Inflammatory Bowel Disease,  fungal nail disease, Lyme Disease, Celia disease, Lymphoma, Major Depression,  Malignant Melanoma,   Mania,  Melorheostosis,   Meniere's Disease,  Mucopolysaccharidosis , Multiple Sclerosis,  Muscular Dystrophy,  Rheumatoid Arthritis, Alzheimer's Disease, parkison disease, vaginal cancer, epilepsy,  Anxiety Disorders, Autoimmune Disease,   Back Pain,  Back Sprain,   Bipolar Disorder,  Brain Tumour,  Malignant,   Bruxism, Bulimia,  Cervical Disk Disease, cardiovascular disease, Neoplasms, chronic respiratory disease,  mental and behavioural disorder,     Cystic Fibrosis,   Hypertension, Diabetes, asthma,  Inflammatory autoimmune-mediated arthritis.  chronic kidney disease, inflammatory joint disease,  impotence,  feta alcohol spectrum,  Dysthymic Disorder,   Eczema, tuberculosis,  Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, constipation, inflammatory bowel disease, bone cancer, lung cancer. contact him on email- drimolaherbalmademedicine@gmail.com. and also on whatssap- +2347081986098

    ReplyDelete