Thursday, January 2, 2014

Where Do You Focus Your Energy?

I recently bought Kanye West's latest album, "Yeezus."  I know people have varying opinions on Mr. West but, overall, I find him to be an interesting and innovative artist.  As far as his personal actions and beliefs, my general policy is to worry about my own life and not pass judgement on others.  If you have ever worked in politics, you know that this mindset is essential.

On the first track, I was a little surprised to hear the following verse:

 "A monster about to come alive again / Soon as I pull up and park the Benz / We get this b***h shaking like Parkinson's."

Because I live in my little bubble called "Bryan World" I had no idea that this was a news-worthy item about six months ago.  Now I think there are a number of ways one can react:
  1. Anger is the easiest route
  2. Writing him off as ignorant or "dumb" which certainly is not true of Mr. West--who is no doubt quite sharp
  3. Using it as a teachable moment to inform the public about PD and turn the unfortunate lyrical choice as an opportunity to raise awareness
  4. Other: letter writing, boycotts, public protests, etc.
Coincidentally enough, a few undergrads happened to ask me what I thought about the track.  The honest truth is I don't really have an opinion---is it really going to impact the funding, research, and awareness of Parkinson's either positively or negatively?  Probably not and I am not going focus my limited energy (my two-year old may never sleep through the night until she's in graduate school) praising or demonizing Kanye West.  I need to concentrate on what I can control or do and for me, that means continue to participate in clinical trials.


On Monday, January 13th, I'll donating a small skin sample that will hopefully contribute to some very interesting Parkinson's research.  This opportunity came out of attending the MJFF Clinical Trial Fair in New York City.

Clinical trials and engaging individuals to participate is where I will focus my energy. Things like the West "controversy" are just noise and we have other more significant issues and goals to accomplish. Parkinson's is a challenging and complex disease but if we maintain our focus, dedication, and collective resolve; we will ultimately reach our goals. I'm not concerned about one line in a song, my efforts will be directed on helping the Fox Trial Finder reach their target of signing up 30,000 volunteers. That is where I will focus my energy in 2014.


No comments:

Post a Comment